Activities in Trotternish ...
We are currently constructing this page of holiday activities in Trotternish and the north east of Skye. Please note that it is not yet complete. Almost all of the things listed below are in Trotternish. We have not included on this page the many other things to do in Portree (the island capital) or other places not far from Trotternish. There is much beautiful scenery in Trotternish including waterfalls and spectacular coastal scenery, and magnificent rock formations such as the Quiraing and the Old Man of Storr.
- Hill walking and climbing:
Staffin Museum has material of interest if you are interested in prehistory:
- There are many ancient monuments in the Trotternish area. Here is a selection:
- Church history Here there is very detailed information about the history of the peoples of Skye from the earliest times, and the development of Christianity.
- Duntulm Castle is an interesting ruined castle with superb views of the Outer Isles. There is a popular walk from here to Rubha Hunish, where there is an old coastguard station from which you can view an abundance of wildlife.
- There is a monument to Flora MacDonald, the lady who is famous for helping Bonnie Prince Charlie to evade capture by the government troops after the ill-fated Jacobite Rebellion of 1745/6.
- Skye Museum of Island Life has a fascinating collection of artefacts and restored thatched cottages. It is in Kilmuir, a small village north of Uig and beside the road to Kilmaluag. We are grateful to the Uig Community Website for permission to use their photograph of the Museum.
- Sailing is a popular activity in this area.
- Cycling: bicycles can be hired from nearby Uig. This part of Skye has quite long stretches of reasonably flat roads, although there are some steep hills for those who wish to keep fit!
- For those of you interested in wildlife, plants, animals, and marine life, there is much to see:
- Eating Out Flodigarry Hotel has a superb restaurant, ideal if you are too tired after a day's walking on the magnificent Trotternish Ridge! Flodigarry dining is silver-service but informal and relaxed - dress smart casual. A full four course table d'hote dinner menu £36 - varied daily - is provided together with traditional Sunday lunches from £18.00. The restaurant overlooks beautiful Staffin Bay - towards the majestic Torridon mountains on mainland Scotland. The award winning food is every bit as good as the view - locally sourced produce includes home grown vegetables, soft fruit and herbs from the Flodigarry walled kitchen garden as well. There is a wide choice of food and you can eat in the Dining Room (table d'hote), the Conservatory (table d'hote or bistro menu), the Bistro (eat bistro or table d'hote) or the Terrace (bistro menu). Flodigarry Hotel is only a very short drive down the road from Kilmaluag, and can easily be walked to, if you are reasonably fit.
- watersports at Whitewave Outdoor Centre
- Other Sporting Activities Include:
- Cycling - Skye Bicycle Hire 01470 542316
- golf 01470 532202
- Trotternish Art Gallery
- Pottery Uig Pottery makes unique pottery using their own clay recipe, with decorations inspired by the surrounding sea and landscape. It is a small family business. The pottery is next to the pier car park in Uig.
- Candle Making. Skyelight Candles is the only candle workshop on the Isle of Skye. From its beautifully located workshop in Staffin overlooking the Quiraing, comes fine quality hand crafted candles. They have a special Skye range: Red Cuillin, Staffin Bay and Quiraing, which reflect the stunning scenery found on this most magical of islands. Being heather scented, when lit, they bring a touch of the Highlands into your home. Also available from the shop are candle holders (made on the island), local crafts, cards, jams, marmalades, tablet and an abundance of specially designed candles to suit all tastes. And remember: since every candle is hand crafted - no two candles are alike. You can also get refreshments from the shop. Open 10am to 5pm, Tuesdays through Sundays between Easter and the end of September. They are also open two weeks prior to Christmas. If you should wish to visit the candle workshop at any other time, then just call them on 01470 562738 and make an appointment - they'll be more than happy to open for you.
- Isle of Skye Brewery
- Columba 1400 Community Centre
- Uig - ferry to the Outer Isles
And dont forget to view our local area slideshow and our local area guide.
A brief guide to the things that can be seen from the road around Trotternish as one heads north from Portree summarises some of the main attractions. This visitor guide and map is useful too in hleping you locate some of the places we have described.
Petrol: Uig, Staffin
Post Offices: Uig, Staffin
Tourist Office: Portree 01478 612137
Doctor (Portree): 01478 612013
Emergency Services (Fire, Police, Ambulance, Sea Rescue) Tel : 999
Taxi: 01470 542342
Holiday cottage: Tel: +44 (0)1470 552204